21.10.06

"I Need to Write. I Came That Way"

The other night I was "dragged" out to an event at Chapters. Five authors were visiting and were going to be answering questions, telling stories, and reading from their books. The authors were, Mary Balogh, Diana Gabaldon, Jack Whyte, Michael Slade, and Anne Perry. They were all in town for the international writers festival being held in Vancouver. The evening began with two young boys bringing the authors out with bagpipes and drums. They played none other than 'Scotland the Brave' and I wished that I had remembered to bring my camera. Each author stood and had 10 minutes to speak, read, or answer questions. I cannot say that I was more impressed with one author over the next. I enjoyed very much listening to Diana Gabaldon read from her new book as she is the only author of these five that I have read before (She writes 18th Century set novels that take place in Scotland). I was very impressed with both Michael Slade and Jack Whyte. My best friend who I was there with is a big Jack Whyte fan and is always telling me all about his books and after this I think it is about time I read some of his work. Michael Slade was really entertaining, telling story after story and drawing laughs from all around the room. He announced that his first book, 'Head Hunters', is going to Hollywood so be sure to watch out for that.

I always see these types of things in the movies or on TV (ie. Carrie in 'Sex and the City') and it was really cool to actually be at one myself. It is making me contemplate the slight writing bug that I have always had... After the authors had their time to speak there was a book signing where I went up with my best friend and met Jack Whyte.

The title quote is from Anne Perry. The photos, from top to bottom are of Jack Whyte, Diana Gabaldon, and Micael Slade.

No comments: