8.1.07

My Last First Day

Today is an odd day for me, today in my last first day of school at SFU. I cannot believe that I am finally here. My first first day at SFU was in September 2002 and I remember being so scared on the bus ride up and pleasantly surprised everyday since. To be honest, I think I'm more scared today then I was in 2002. Throughout the last five years I have grown to realise that a university degree is simply not what it used to be. Unfortunately, almost anybody can get one which means that graduates are no longer a class of their own. Employers know this as well and are thus scepticle of you despite the letters behind your name. Further training is what is needed now, further training and really taking the extra step to prove yourself. The favourite question of all who learn that I am graduating in June is, "What are you planning to do AFTER graduation?" The dreaded question all of us graduates fear the most. Why do we fear it? Well, because I'll say roughly 90% of us have no answer to this question. At one time university was the place where you figured that out, you took classes that trained you to become your chosen profession. This is simply no longer the case. Today, university is just another step in the right direction. It is a step towards knowing what you want to do. And, in the worse case, it is nothing but a step, a step that is not always in the forward direction, but sometimes sideways, or backwards even. For me? Well I think it has been a step forward and to the side. I'm pretty certain only other graduates will understand what I mean. I do not want to sound as though I am advocating NOT going to university, I wouldnt trade the last 5 years for anything. I am just saying students should be wary of what they expect to get from university. The cold hard truth is that there is no wonderful job just waiting for you after you graduate. You are not yet qualified for high paying, high profile professions. Your degree does not mean that you are more intelligent than anyone else. Your degree will get you one foot in the door and it is up to you to prove the rest. 95% to 100% of us will need further education for whatever it is we want to do next. Do not however, let this get you down, because getting to the next level is half the fun! So today is the beginning of the end for me and I am happy to say that I have no disillusions of what the end is or means. I am going to thoroughly take the time to enjoy every second of the end because it is my first and last opportunity to do so.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You'll do just fine Jenn. A degree unlocks far more doors than most people realise. You just need to figure out which handles to try ;-)

Mike.

Ps. it helps that you're actually smart too!