19.4.07

Grindhouse


Last night Lucas and I went to see the new Rodriguez and Tarantino joint project 'Grindhouse'. For those who do not know, 'Grindhouse' is actually two films, one directed by Rodriguez and one directed by Tarantino. It is meant to bring the audience back to the seedy theatres and horror films of the 1970s. It is hard to find the words to describe the experience of seeing 'Grindhouse'. This is what it truly is, an experience. It is 3 hours long, full of faux previews, advertisements, missing reels, and shotty quality frames. Going into the film, I was unsure what I would think of it and the truth is I loved them. I am so glad that I went to see this in the theatres. There were some very disturbing moments. However, overall the films were exceptionally entertaining. I also expected the films to be completely degrading to women and while there were many gratuitous body shots of women, the women in the films were exceptionally strong. They completely took care of themselves, took initiative, and, well, seriously kicked ass! I came out of the theatre a little scared of zombies but a lot empowered. I was so impressed by this! I recommend this movie to some but not to all, this film is not for weak stomachs. But if you are thinking of seeing this movie and can't decide let this review be the deciding factor, go see it, it's worth the money.

3 comments:

KellyKaye said...

I LOVED this movie!! I enjoyed the second one better. The part w/ Kurt Russell at the end is priceless. And that girl ontop of the car, is Uma Thurman's stunt double in the Kill Bills.

KellyKaye said...

Oh and also...those faux previews were winners of a contest where people had to film and submit them.

Jenns Theatre said...

wow, I didnt know that about the previews! Some of them were really good, others were super disturbing. I also liked the second one better. And ya I guessed that when I was watching the movie about the stunt double thing, I recognised her from the MTV movie awards when Tarantino brought her on stage when they all won best fight scene. She was amazing on top of that car, it was awesome to know that the actual actress was doing that for real. Those girls were awesome!!