4.9.07

A Little Note About Distance...


I am beginning to wonder about something...do people think that because they have to cross a bridge in their route that their journey is that much longer? This question comes to mind, I believe, as a result of moving to Vancouver from North Delta. I am not pinpointing people in either region specifically; it is some people in both regions that seem to think this. For example, people in North Delta are far more likely to drive to White Rock for an afternoon of shopping at neat stores than they are to drive to Commercial Drive when the time difference is only a mere 5 minutes. Then there is shopping in Langely at the big box stores, why is it that people in Surrey believe that driving to Langley is closer than driving to Burnaby? It is not.


Another question begs to be asked!! What is wrong with driving a little further in order to experience something new? I ask this to people who both live in Vancouver and in Surrey and Delta. People in Vancouver, why not take a trip out to White Rock and see what that beach has to offer? And people in Surrey, why not venture over to Jerhico or Kits instead of always going to White Rock and Crescent? There are wonderful new things to be found in these places, different restaurants, different stores, different people.


I am not trying to say, either, that I am perfect in this. Now that I have moved to Vancouver I very rarely cross over the bridge. My reasoning for this, however, is not based on having to cross a bridge or on distance. I've spent the majority of my life on that side of the water, during that time the only place I wanted to be was on this side and now I'm here and am learning everything I can about my neighbourhood and my new surroundings. And for anyone out in Surrey or Delta interested in exploring my area, remember, it's CLOSER than Langley.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean North Delta, you lived in Surrey.

Jenns Theatre said...

I may have lived in Surrey the last year I was across the bridge but my life was in North Delta. I was 10 steps from North Delta.

Way to be anonymous shows a lot of courage.

Anonymous said...

It wasn't just the last year and you know it.

Lisa's Diet said...

I like your post, it's quite cute. I know what you mean it's fun to travel to new areas and spend time exploring. Quentin and I find ourselves in Van a lot just because it offers so much.
People just get lazy sometimes too, I just go were I know because it's simple and I won't have to spend time figuring out how to get unlost.
What area are you loving in Van?