4.11.06

'Borat' Review

Well, I'm going to start with saying that before going to see this movie I was not excited. It was not something I warranted paying $10 to see in the theatre but a bunch of friends wanted to see it and I thought, why not, I can keep an open mind. For those that do not know, the movie 'Borat' is about a man from Kazakhstan who comes to America to learn things about America and bring them back to his country. It is purely satire and meant to offend. In this sense the movie does not fail, it is extremely offensive if nothing else. In keeping my open mind I enjoyed the first 20-30 mins of the film before it all got a little old....
I find it extremely difficult to write reviews when I did not enjoy the movie. 'Borat' does nothing new. It takes every offensive joke that we know of and puts them on the big screen in a documentary like movie. I cannot understand how people are raving about this movie. It had its moments, I definately laughed a few times but most of the jokes made were purely looking for shock factor. And let me add as well, when this movie was in production there was a lot of negative reaction from the country of Kazakhstan and I can understand why.
Also, I can see how this movie would appeal to a male audience, so ladies, if your boy wants to see this movie, let it be a boys night and go and catch 'Marie Antoinette' or stay in with the girls instead.

Do not waste your money on this movie. Rent it. Or, better yet, wait until someone else rents it and watch it with them, then you never have to give a penny to this film.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree.. i thought i was the only girl on the planet who thought this move sucked.. apparently not!!