8.12.06

The Last King of Scotland

In even just thinking about writing about this film I am at a loss for words. . . . It was simply incredible. The Last King of Scotland is a movie about Idi Amin, the genocidal dictator that ruled over Uganda in the 70's and his relationship with a young Scottish doctor that visits Uganda to make a difference and break out of his boring routine at home. They meet by chance and develop an immediate relationship due to Amin's love for Scotland. This scene is quite funny because originally Amin thinks the young Scot is British and Nicholas quickly corrects him by showing him a Scottish football jersey and Amin laughs and asks for the shirt for his son Campbell. Amin exclaims how he loves the Scottish, that if he were not Ugandan he wished he were Scottish (except for the red hair he says). The next day he invites the Scottish doctor to be his personal physician and with some reluctance Nicholas accepts the offer. The movie follows their relationship from the good moments to the very very bad moments.

I think what was most interesting and equally disturbing for me was seeing all these atrocities surrounded by Scottish traditions. Amin had two sons named Campbell and Mackenzie, he wore a kilt at times, had african choirs singing Scottish folk songs, and had bagpipe processions in Ugandan streets. I had heard stories about his fascination and love for Scotland but did not expect what I saw.

I also must talk about the acting in this film. I was in awe of Forest Whittaker who plays Amin. What a performance. Again, I am at a loss for words here. I was literally scared of him, not once was he out of character. I could have been watching Amin on screen. If he is not nominated for an Oscar I will be shocked; I'll be equally shocked if he doesnt win it. James McAvoy, from Glasgow, plays Nicholas Garrigan and also does a wonderful job.

I strongly suggest seeing this movie to everyone, all those here in Canada as well as in Scotland. It was a very difficult story to watch at times but the story is worth knowing. If you dont like watching these types of movies on the silver screen at least remember to rent it when it comes out in a few months. (Just for those who aren't familiar with it, this story is based on true events and people)

No comments: