29.10.07

Sailing and Snorkeling

Yesterday we went out on a full day of sailing and snorkeling. It was the perfect day with just the right wind and crystal clear water. It all got off to a bit of a rough start for me as I was immediately very sea sick. By the second stop I was moving past that though and really enjoying the day. The first snorkel stop was the very best though as Lucas and I spotted two amazing things. First we spotted three Spotted Eagle Rays swimming together below us. They are so beautiful how they just glide though the water. And then we saw a Manatee!!! We couldn't believe our eyes when the massive mammal passed underneath us. They are known to be curious animals so he didn't just pass by but stayed awhile below us spinning in the water and swimming in circles. Then(!) at one point Lucas and I had surfaced to talk about how wonderful and lucky we were and when I went back under the water I turned to be face to face with the curious creature. My heart literally stopped and I screamed but no sound came out under the water. It was a truly magical moment. I surfaced to call Lucas and have him share the same experience but the Manatee must have been spooked or decided we weren't that interesting as he was on his way back down to the bottom when we looked down again. But it was a really wonderful moment. The sail back was much better and I was feeling great again. We were served snacks and rum punch all the way back. It was stunning. (We did not manage to get any underwater photos as the camera that we had rented died on us the moment we got in the water, but be on the lookout for some tomorrow as Lucas went out again today in hopes of some more photos!!)

Me and Lucas on the Sailboat

Letting the water hit my feet on the way to the next snorkel stop

Lets play find the dragonflies on our Japanese friend

Soaking in the sun and enjoying the Reggae in the background

Lucas with sun setting behind him

Gorgeous photo of the sun coming down on our way back

So beautiful!

No comments: