30.7.06

An End

With all the wonderful things that happen in my life, it is difficult to sit here and try to find the words to write about something terrible that happened. But here it goes so I dont have to re-tell the story over and over again, just a warning, this story is sad and disturbing.

Lucas and I were driving from his house to mine Friday night. That day I had taken the skytrain to his house so my car was parked at Scott Road Station. Normally, when driving from his house to mine we would take the Alex Fraser Bridge, this night we had to take the Putullo Bridge to pick my car up. The original plan for our evening was to see a film, however, on the way there we decided we would rather stay in and proceeded to pick up my car. While still in New West I expressed that I was not feeling well and needed something fizzy to drink, I said to Lucas that I was fine with just stopping at the Mac's near my house but he, always concerned about me, decided it would be best to turn around and go to the 7/11 just a little ways back from where we were. I'm telling all these details because I believe that all these small decisions brought us to the place we were at, at the time we were at on the Putullo Bridge that night. After leaving 7/11 we headed for my car. We were driving over the bridge when, as we were reaching the top arch of the bridge, traffic slowed. There was a silver car in front of us that manouvered around, what looked like, a stalled jeep. When Lucas and I went to do the same, an older man running to the railing caught our attention. It was at this time we witnessed this older gentleman, push himself over the railing, plant both feet on the other side, and without the least bit of hesitation, jump to his death. Lucas immediately pulled the car over and dialed 911. I, at this point, could not move. Lucas ran out of the car to the railing to see if he could see the man. It was after 10 at night and it was dark but he managed to see the man, face down in the fraser river, floating. He tried to follow the body so he could show the police where the man was, however, construction workers on the bridge would not allow him to stay on that side of the bridge with no sidewalk while traffic was still moving accross. Within moments, several police cars were at the scene, the bridge was shut down, and we were the only two witnesses who stayed behind. Being on one of the busiest bridges without a single car in sight other than the ones with blue and red lights flashing was a surreal moment. I felt like I was in a scene of a movie and none of this was really happening. Lucas and I remained on the brigde for the better part of an hour while the police asked us questions and took our statements. They thanked us profusely for staying behind, stating that normally, normal people like us never stayed behind.

When we got home we were still in shock. My Mum made us tea, I told her to make it just like my Gran would, a comfort thing I guess, and we sat and tried to make sense of what we had seen. An impossible task. That night I could not sleep, everytime I closed my eyes I saw this man hop over the railing and let go. No hesitation. I think that that is what haunts me the most, his determination and my intense curiosity of what could cause such determination. No hesitation at all. The same images haunted me last night. I seem to be okay during the day but at night it feels like I'm afraid of something. I'm not sure what that might be. Lucas and I know that there was a reason why it was us who witnessed this, what that reason is we have yet to discover. All the small decisions we made that night led us to that place at that time. There is always the lesson that life is precious but I feel like we have more to learn than that. Only time will tell I suppose. Until then I will try and reflect on it when I can and hopefully will be able to sleep in the meantime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Honey, I'm here whenever you need me. Everything happens for a reason...time will tell. Love you both!